Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Wife of Former New Jersey Governor Says She Never Knew He Was Gay


Posted: Tuesday, 01 May 2007 12:27PM

CHICAGO (AP) -- The estranged wife of the nation's first openly gay governor fired back at her husband during an appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show,'' saying she never knew he was gay.

"He kind of gave me the news in cowardly installments,'' said Dina Matos McGreevey, who is in the process of divorcing former New Jersey Gov. James E. McGreevey.

The former governor told the world in August 2004 he was "a gay American'' and had an extramarital affair with a male aide. He resigned months later.

"I felt like my world had crumbled and my life was over,'' Matos McGreevey said. "In the course of the three days of his explanation and confession to me, it was clear to me that he never loved me.''

Oprah Winfrey interviewed Matos McGreevey in a show that aired Tuesday, the same day "Silent Partner: A Memoir of My Marriage,'' was published by Hyperion Books.

"No one ever said to me that he was gay,'' she said. "It's a cliche that the wife is always the last to know, and it's true.''

No comments: